Friday, August 19, 2011

Beatrix Potter for Adults


In April I spoke at the Los Angeles Arboretum in the appropriately named Arcadia, CA.  Whoever created the publicity on their website christened my talk "Beatrix Potter for Adults."  Here's a link, for as long as it stays active:


The title is hilarious, as Beatrix Potter was far from X-rated.  And of course, the Arboretum was differentiating this program from the next day's family-oriented activities.

The memory of my first visit to Hill Top Farm, her first garden, is golden.  It was a sunny afternoon when, with a new husband and two aged parents, I walked up the flagstone path.  (We had spent a week in Scotland with non-stop rain.)  The cottage borders embrace the path, creating a long axis to the farmhouse.   Beatrix Potter’s garden interests have a long axis as well, through her life story and through the legacy of British gardening.

Miss Potter, I salute you.

No comments:

Post a Comment